Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Who am I?

November 25, 2009
For Times of India

A relevant question at any time but in context of heritage, particularly now, as The World Heritage Week has just concluded. There is no denying that India's identity lies in its diversity but I am a Gujarati living in Ahmedabad - unless I discover where I come from, how will I give direction to where I want to go?

My work revolves around this premise. The House of MG gives me the opportunity to dwell into what it means to be a Gujarati in 360 degree manner to showcase a contemporary lifestyle that is rooted in tradition. 'Made in Ahmedabad and proud to be Gujarati' has, in fact, become our brand identity.

Nano may have come to Sanand, but our heritage never left the Walled city. Many expeditions to its interior over the years, both on my Enfield and on bicycle ( as well as guidance from my friend Debashish Nayak) led me to chance upon a neglected jem (one amongst many, tha the old city is scattered with) of architecture and craftsmanship in late 1996. I had the opportunity to reinterpret it (as well as rename it!) and present Mangaldas ni Haveli as a café and craft-centre in August this year. During this time, we also documented the traditional crafts of Ahmedabad (http://www.houseofmg.com/ahmedabad-crafts.htm) for our craft initiative and launch D-Tours - An audio Guided Heritage Walk from the House of MG to what is now Mangaldas ni Haveli.

The Heritage Night walk launched on 23rd November is designed to be a 20/20 of heritage walks - its short, exciting and in streetlight! In course of one evening, you get a complete synopsis of old Ahmedabad - Spectacular traditional architecture, fine local cuisine, display of paramparic hand-crafted products and a post dinner stroll (merely 700 meters) past the old city highlights that ends with music program!

I like to think that I'm playing a small role in unraveling Ahmedabad to Ahmedabadis as I unravel my roots to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment