Thursday, February 5, 2009

The shortest distance between two points

Modern TimesBy Bhrahma
The shortest distance between two points

Did I tell you I went to Ranthambore the last weekend to see the tigers before they became extinct?
Did you see any?
No. Just saw some pug marks.
That’s too bad.
The funny thing is, we spent six hours every day for three days, roaming the jungle in an uncomfortable jeep, in suspended animation, with our eyes peeled to spot a movement in the grass or a flash of orange. At the end of the day, we would return with an air of disappointed hanging thick like smog.
Any one would be disappointed. You did go there to see a tiger!
Maybe so, but at the same time we were in a beautiful jungle with stunning views of lakes, wild grass, exotic trees, majestic ruins of palaces and an abundance of sambar, cheetal, monkeys, mongoose and the variety of birds. Even the weather was great. So why were we disappointed?
Bhrahm…, give me a break!
What I am trying to say is, that this is a typical attitude. It is rare that one gets off the highway to smell the roses! The shortest distance between two points doesn’t always have to be a straight line, specially for those of us who have the luxury of taking the gentle curve instead. What’s the hurry, I say?
I guess you are right; we lead a fairly blinkered existence, rushing from one task to another.
With the WTC attacks, the mounting death of civilians in Afghanistan, Madhavrao Scindia’s untimely death in a plane crash….one just gets more aware of one’s mortality. I find myself wondering about the meaning of the term ‘living life to the full’. Am I living it to the full? What more can I do to make it fuller?
And…
The only answers I have come up with so far is to remove the ‘blinkers’, take the detours, follow my heart (and not let the mind veto it every time), not get bogged down by routine and make room for spontaneity...things like that.
I could live with that.
Exactly, but how many of us really do? We spend more time thinking about how to make tomorrow better by sacrificing today, don’t we?
But Bhrahm, that’s also called dreaming. What’s wrong in dreaming or having aspirations? You can have them only for tomorrow.
Nothing wrong, but at what cost? I would like to make today better and not worry so much about tomorrow. I may not even be there, for crying out loud!
You can say that because you have the luxury to do so. You don’t have to worry about tomorrow, many people do.
I cannot vouch for others but certainly for those like me who have ‘roti, kapda and makan’ taken care of. If I am spending all my time in pursuit of a better ‘makan’, I doubt I could call that ‘living life to the full’. That’s just my point.
Did you hear that one about ‘yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today...? Today is a present’!

No comments:

Post a Comment