Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Sundays

I’ve never quite managed to make Sunday join seamlessly with the rest of my week and even now, Sunday is often more a hurdle than a pause between two workweeks.

If you really enjoy work (or if you have nothing better to do, as the case may be!), taking a forced break after every six days can remain a challenge. I felt like this even when I lived in Mumbai for many years, so it’s not the city… it’s me. I am not from the tribe that dreads Mondays!

Come Sunday, I have to face the challenge to engage myself in an interesting activity, especially between noon and five (my ‘graveyard shift’). I enjoy being by myself and I don’t have to worry about anyone else, yet it’s a chore to come up with an idea for one. The rest of the day is a greatly anticipated with lazy breakfast, catching up on reading, online social networking and playing with the dogs and evenings at the gym followed by a book/DVD ensconced in my favourite sofa or the occasional social/family gathering.

Motorbike ride in the old city, driving off to Thol lake with the dogs, personal pampering at a salon, attending a book reading at Crossword, spending contemplative time at the sites of my restoration projects, sipping tea at The Green House and chatting with hotel guests, exploring the world on Google Earth, searching for adventure travel options on the Net… these are some of the things I did the past few Sundays in the graveyard shift.

So long as the answer to that one question I like to ask myself before I go to sleep…. ‘When was the last time did I do something for the first time?’.. is ‘Today’, I rest easy… till the next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment